Sunday, August 28, 2011

Village People

I saw Miranda Kerr, Orlando Bloom and their beautiful baby today at a cafe here in Sydney. She's very tall.  He has a lovely smile. The baby's cute!

I had wondered why the service was so lax at this cafe and thought perhaps I didn't look like enough of a hipster to warrant good service and then once I spotted Orlando realized all the staff must have been  buzzing around their table with excitement  instead of taking our order.

Now I love a famous person as much as the next man, perhaps even a great deal more, not ashamed to admit it - the beautiful people fascinate me - I love trashy mags, I love popular culture and I LOVE the movies so famous people are all super cool to me...... but it got me thinking, as Orlando kissed the top of his babies head, that it can't be easy to do the whole new parent thing when your famous.

How do you join a parents group?  How do you start random chats in the park?  What about breast feeding in public places?  Or your kids first rigid tantrum as you try forcing them into the pram...... I shudder to think.....

They say it takes a village to raise a child, which I believe to be true. How hard is it for 'celebrities' to be a non invasive part of a village? For a start, which village?  They are always moving around! or maybe like celebrity rehab there's a village of famous new parents in all the 'hot' villages around the world.

Don't get me wrong. They're doing just dandy I'm sure and no doubt they have awesome family and friends who help out with all this kind of stuff - not to mention the hired help, but I'm just saying - maybe being a celebrity you miss out on the mediocre and the mundane, the awkward and the peculiar new parent stuff that is in fact ever so character building and rewarding.  Or better still, maybe as a celebrity you don't miss out on it - you just don't get the opportunity to go through it without some twit happy snapping your foibles on their iphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment